Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Too Much Exposition

Oy Vey! The last 2 weeks have been a whirlwind of activity. Tightening the music and dances...blocking the entire show in a week and a half...only four pages to go. Of course as I review my notes, I realize they are the most time consuming four pages. Just ahead of the end of Act 1, which has it's own montage demands.

Last night we had some visitors from the Newcomers Club who sat in on part of the rehearsal and got to see us begin the blocking process on a scene we had not yet done. They were quite amused by it all, and speaking with me later said how much they enjoyed being an insider on the process. That is was kinda cool to see a part of the show no one else would get to see. I hadn't thought of it that way initially, but realized it was a great deal of fun for them.

The most amazing part of this for me is the discovery that I have to dig even deeper to show the story...The most challenging has been to keep the essence of "the mob" as we define the characters individually. Keeping the movement tight and not devolving into lines is a constant frustration...I think I will take my education director's advice: The only reason to be in a line onstage is for kickline! - Make 'em do the kickline everytime they form a line." What a great idea! Maybe they'll actually learn how to keep in tight formations without line forming....

No comments: